Saturday, September 27, 2008

Early Morning Ramblings

It's 6:38am and I've been up and awake now for about two and a half hours, about an hour and a half until I need to be at the gym for trainer-Steve... My sleeping lately has been so messed up, as if being sick isn't bad enough. It then takes me about a week to get back into any semblance of a "normal" sleep routine unless of course a bout of insomnia hits (which it does about 90% of the time for me after being sick).

There really is no update to provide since last Saturday's 5k, but it's early, I'm awake and therefore I shall talk...

I woke up Sunday morning with a sore throat and it has all pretty much gone downhill since then. Pretty much just laid around on Sunday, watched what I believe was supposed to be an NFL game between the Browns and the Ravens -- I don't need to go into that, I'm pretty sure we've ALL got the same or at least similar opinions there... I'm seriously considering a boycott on football this year (ok, ok, not really serious about that, I don't really think I could do it anyhow, I mean IT'S FOOTBALL, the only reason I look forward to summer being almost over every year, I mean really who could survive a true boycott of such an awesome spectator sport! Go Browns. Go Bucks. Go Irish).

Monday and Tuesday I stayed home from work, medicated myself and slept.

Ventured to work on Wednesday, but couldn't make it through the whole day. Went home, medicated myself and slept more.

Thursday I felt much better, no really I felt great (as long as you didn't listen to me talk or pay any attention to the coughing) and even headed to the gym, but trainer-Steve immediately put a kibosh on those plans and sent me home (I really didn't get why...). I headed to work, honestly believing I was better, to what turned out to be an 11-hour work day! -- The last 4 hours spent in meetings where the major topic of conversation revolved around our impending merger, er, um I mean "c-o-n-s-o-l-i-d-a-t-i-o-n" yes, yes because THAT sounds so much better and makes this whole friggin' process easy and carefree, just one big happy family, it's not "them-against-us" it's improving upon two separate and distinct already establish processes, it's for the good of the general public, it's... oh, um, ok...I digress, um, as I was saying -- it turned out to be an 11-hour work day.

Needless to say, Friday morning I woke up with a sore throat, slight fever and coughing. It was a short workday so I ventured in, but was glad when 2:00pm rolled around and I could head back home to my sofa and blanket where I caught up on some missed TV action. Was supposed to go out with a girlfriend, but just wasn't really up to the bar-scene, so I opted out there. Completely forgot about the debate being on and instead watched E.T. Classic movie, and yes I still cried at the end...I'm such a sucker! But from what I've heard, I probably made the better choice in watching a classic.

So, that brings us around to this morning. I am feeling ok, but am leery about it. There's been minimal coughing, throat feels good, temp where it should be, sinuses a little stuffy but nothing really any worst than any other given day. I guess we'll see how the day progresses. Mom and I don't have a lot on the agenda for today, pretty much just hanging out locally, doing a little shopping, and grabbing a bite to eat somewhere (I'd like something a little different, but not sure what...) Talked with trainer-Steve already this morning (yes, already, at like 5:20am, ugh-morning people, i just don't get 'em!) and he's given me a green light to come on in today for a session. Since it's been a whole week since I've had a workout he says we'll ease into it today, but then I'm scheduled for Monday-Wednesday-Friday next week and he's already telling me that we're going to hit it hard. Which I am actually looking forward to. Ever since the back issues started and then going through the treatments, we've been unable to get in any good, hard, kick-your-butt sessions and then to have three in a week (oh I foresee lots of lunges and plank positions in my future) and then a 5k next Saturday morning....yeah-baby, that's what I'm talking about, let's bring it on!!

So of the many topics that trainer-Steve and I have been having is my nutrition. I've been keeping a diary of what I'm eating and when for several months now and I've improved my eating habits dramatically, with the minor exceptions of cook outs (but I've gotten better as the summer progressed) and being sick (I crave salt and vinegar chips and milkshakes when I have a cold... I know, but cravings rarely make sense, and well shouldn't you pamper yourself when you're sick?). The biggest issue I am having is my protein intake, so I guess my next step is to maybe plan out my meals more than I do now. Typically I go shopping, buy miscellaneous groceries and then I like to create whatever when it comes time to make dinner. There isn't always a lot of rhyme or reason to what I buy as far as for a specific dinner. I think where I'm lacking most though is in the lunchtime arena (I still tend to skip lunches sometimes). So since I'm a list-freak anyhow, I guess I need to start pre-planning my meals and start trying to stick with that.

Ok, time to finish the tea grab some p.b. toast and head out to the gym.

Have a great week-end y'all and chat soon! Later-bye.

No comments: